Our vision is a world where every child has access to quality education.
COCO’s purpose is to provide education to create the opportunity for children to break the cycle of poverty.
COCO believes that all children, regardless of race, gender, ethnicity or economic circumstance should have the opportunity to receive an education.
Our mission is to provide sustainable sources of quality education to children living in poor and marginalised communities.
We do this by:
- Working with local partners who are committed to our vision
- Listening to the needs of beneficiaries
- Learning which obstacles prevent children accessing education
- Ensuring that education offered is of good quality, incorporating not only the relevant national curriculum, but also informal skills important for students to enjoy the best possible opportunity in their lives
- Collaborating to find sustainable and innovative long term solutions to poverty
- Ensuring that our projects are specific to the needs of each community
- Planning for independence for local partners from the outset
We are currently working with remote communities in East Africa to work towards our mission.
COCO’s motto, “Listen. Learn. Sustain.” is core to every one of our partnerships. From the outset, we promise to listen to one another, learn from each other and implement sustainable solutions. Our Schools for Life are designed and developed in collaboration with our implementation partners in East Africa, and each programme design incorporates these key components;
- A participatory approach (child and parent centred)
- Leaving no Child Behind (inclusive with a focus on gender and disability)
- MEL framework (established in collaboration with partners)
- Do No Harm (ensure all beneficiaries and staff are safe at all times and benefitting from intervention)
Through these 3 key components, expectations are clear from the outset and performance can be measured at each phase of the project. Channels of communication are open through email, skype and site visits. All partners sign an MOU and agree to safeguarding procedures as part of that. Feedback is actively encouraged throughout the process and acted upon in all cases.
COCO and the SDGs
COCO is part of a global movement working towards achieving the UN Global Goals, everything that we do contributes to achieving these. Providing quality education is our core aim, as such Goal 4: Quality Education, is the primary UN Global Goal that we are working towards. Our Schools for Life programme provides good quality education to children living in poor and marginalised communities in East Africa, from nursery through to further education.
However, development is complex, everything is interlinked and interconnected. We have a number of secondary goals that we are also actively working towards and the remaining are tertiary goals, not directly forming part of our strategy but which are still considered. Read more about COCO's alignment with the Global Goals here.
A Word from our Founder
"The importance of education for children cannot be overstated; education promotes better health, improved self-esteem and the development of skills that are essential for making a living in later life.
For 100 million children across the globe, poverty prevents them accessing the education they so desperately need. You can play your part in helping others to help themselves. People living in poor countries don’t want hand-outs; they want the opportunity to transform their lives and the lives of their families. COCO works closely with local community organisations to ensure that the money that you donate is used to maximum effect to give the poorest families hope for the future.
In this increasingly globalised world in which we live, the needs of the world’s less developed countries are coming closer to our doorstep. Each and every one of us has the potential to change the inequalities of the world. You can play your part, however large or small, in eradicating poverty for the most vulnerable children in the world."
Steve Cram CBE